Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Adopt Me Oprah

So, my family is much like many other families living in the US today, we are broke! For the past six months, my husband has been without work. He was laid off, along with thousands of others, from one of the many shipyards here on the Gulf Coast. Like many of those people, he has not had any luck with finding something to help us along. To make matters worse, the state we live in will not allow him to receive unemployment benefits, yet others from his same crew are collecting beaucoup bucks from the state and sitting on their asses doing nothing. We need that supplemental income to make it, but we are denied it for no good reason at all.

Be that as it may, I am the only one bringing home the bacon…and the bacon is a little thin for my liking. Don’t get me wrong, I am thankful that I have a job at all, but man I sure would like to have more money to feed my family, pay my bills and maybe, just for once, do something fun and not worry about the money we are spending having some monumental effect on us paying a bill or not.

That being said, have you ever been so down on your luck that you revert to “borrowing” things from work so that you don’t have to pay your hard earned money for them? Things like coffee, creamer, sugar and toilet tissue? I have! I’m not proud of it, but those necessities are more expensive than we can sometimes afford and there are more than enough of those items stock piled here at my office. Yes, it may be stealing, but am I ok with that? YES!!!! We have even gone as far as filling my purse with condiments and napkins each time we have the luxury of going to a fast food place. I mean, think about it, you can get a bunch of ketchup, mustard, mayo and relish from various places in town and they don’t bat an eye. The napkins are a given, we always grab a handful when we go to take our seats and I proceed to fill my purse so that I will not have to go to the store to spend money I don’t have .
So I want to put it out there to you, Oprah, if you are looking to spend you money on some needy people, you need to look no further than the people right here in you own country. We are all more than willing to take a little hand out from someone who can more than afford it.!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment